Pink and Green Elephants

My photo
British Columbia, Canada
I'm starting this blog so I can record the amazing, exciting, and nerve-racking journey through pregnancy to parenthood

Tuesday 11 June 2013

32.4 Week Ultrasound!

June 11th 2013

32 weeks 4 days

So today I got to go back to the swanky fetal medicine clinic and have a follow up ultrasound. This ultrasound was pretty much the same as the last one, except a little shorter. 

The ultrasound tech did an internal and an external ultrasound to measure my cervix and she measured the baby's belly, scull, and thigh bone. She also looked at his heart, his kidneys, his feet, his spine, and confirmed yet again that he is definitely a boy! She looked at his cord and checked the blood flow as well. Even when I turned onto my side, we could only see his ear because he is so far down and his face is facing inwards. So it will be a total surprise as to what he looks like. The only pictures we got this time were of his massive foot and his boy bits lol! 

The doctor said that my cervix has shortened. In two weeks, it went from 3.5-2.5 to 3-2.2! So now it is short, but not to the point where she thinks I will go into labor within the next couple weeks. Also, since she said that I made it to 32 weeks, which is a big milestone, that they do not need to continue to monitor my cervix. I need to remain on light duty/modified bed rest until 34 weeks and then, unless my midwife tells me otherwise or my cervix dilates, I can return to my normal activity. (What is normal activity for someone 8.5 months pregnant?) So at my next appointment with the midwife, I need to ask if they will check my cervix. 

The doctor said that the baby is large and he is measuring three weeks ahead-but she assured us many times that he is perfectly healthy and that he will just be a big baby. The doctor confirmed that my risk of pre-term labor is still higher and that it is impossible to tell on the ultrasound if my cervix is dilated or not, but she doesn't think my cervix is short enough to dilate right now. Also, she said that she thinks he will be born before his due date, but that he will be born after 34 weeks. I'm just praying to keep him in for at least another two weeks, because I really want to make it to my baby shower and i do NOT want the steroid shots in the butt to mature his lungs. So far, in my August WTE group, about 5 babies have been born already and it's crazy to think that soon I will be holding my baby too! 





No comments:

Post a Comment