Pink and Green Elephants

My photo
British Columbia, Canada
I'm starting this blog so I can record the amazing, exciting, and nerve-racking journey through pregnancy to parenthood

Sunday 5 May 2013

Glucose Tolerance Test


April 28th 

26 weeks, 1 day

So I decided to get the dreaded glucose tolerance test (GTT) over with as soon as possible, so I went on a Saturday so that my husband could be with me. 

First of all, I had to get up early-which normally wouldn't be so bad, but ever since getting pregnant, I feel so tired that my whole day is shot. 

Secondly, I had to fast for ten hours prior to the test-I couldn't have water, food, or even gum! Asking a pregnant woman to not eat is torture!!!!! 

When I got to the clinic for my appointment, I realised that I forgot the stupid requisition form so Jamie had to go all the way back home to pick up the form before returning to the clinic. Because of this, I was a half hour late getting started and that meant I had to go even longer without food. 

Since I went on a Saturday morning, the tiny little clinic was packed and it was really stuffy. I asked if I was allowed to go stand outside or walk around and I was told that I had to remain seated for the whole two hour duration of my test! For me, having to sit still for two hours in a crowded, stuffy clinic is really taxing. 

The first part of the actual test involved a blood draw, which tested my sugar levels, as well as my iron and blood cell count ect. After the blood test I had to chug this glucose drink that looked like orange pop and tasted like extra sweet, flat orange pop. I was amazed with myself that I was able to chug that nasty sugar drink in 30 seconds and keep it all down!!!! 

After waiting for an hour, I had to have a second blood draw. And after waiting for another hour, I had to have a third blood draw. Unfortunately for me, I have really crappy veins and I had to have all three blood draws taken from the same little vein in my arm. Eight days later and it's still bruised...

Thankfully, there is this awesome on line service called Myehealth, where you can access the results of lab work. Later that night, my results were posted and I learned that ALL of my blood work came back normal-which means that I do not have gestational diabetes! 

What a relief! I was convinced that I would get it for sure, so I was really happy to learn that I avoided that complication. 

This is my poor arm the day after the test...the picture doesn't even come close to capturing how awful the bruising really is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment