Pink and Green Elephants

My photo
British Columbia, Canada
I'm starting this blog so I can record the amazing, exciting, and nerve-racking journey through pregnancy to parenthood

Tuesday 28 May 2013

7th Midwife Appointment Part 2.

May 28th 2013

30 weeks 4 days 

Today I went in for my full midwife appointment. We met with a new midwife today who was really nice and took the time to answer all my questions. 

She took my blood pressure, which was great as always. I also weighed myself and I gained one pound so now I'm up a total of 11 pounds. The midwife also measured my belly, which was measuring at 32ish weeks. The midwife also checked his heart rate which was 150 BPM. 

I got some bad news at my appointment unfortunately. I was originally going to St. Paul's hospital, as it offers more choices, but then I was offered a spot at BCCH, which I was thrilled about as it is the only local hospital with a birthing tub. I really want to attempt a natural labor and delivery and I feel that being able to labor and deliver in the tub would help me to be successful. Now that BCCH closed the Cedar ward where they have the birthing tubs, I no longer have the option of a water birth. So now I have to rewrite my birth plan and explore other options. At least St. Paul's hospital has a tub that I can sit in during labor. 

At my appointment I asked a bunch of questions. Firstly I asked if I need to be vaccinated against whooping cough, as I had read that it was a recommended vaccine to get while pregnant. The midwife had never even heard of that so she said she would consult with the other midwives and get back to me.  I also asked if they do cervical checks once I am full term, and she said that they don't do it, but at 41 weeks they offer a stretch and sweep of the membranes. I asked if they do massage during labor and if they will try and stretch the perineum and she told me that they do provide massage and some of them can even provide acupressure massage, however, she personally does not try and stretch the perineum as she found it tears more easily that way but that each midwife has their own philosophy regarding that. I also asked if they will provide referrals for a family doctor or a paediatrician and she said that they no longer do that, but directed me a website where I can find a doctor. 

Overall it was a good appointment and I am booked for three more appointments next month-two of which will discuss preparation for birth and complications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment