Pink and Green Elephants

My photo
British Columbia, Canada
I'm starting this blog so I can record the amazing, exciting, and nerve-racking journey through pregnancy to parenthood

Saturday 24 August 2013

Jaxon's First Pediatrician Appointment

August 21st-13 days old! 

When Jaxon was born, the doctors noticed that he had abnormally large fontanels-which are the soft spots located on the top of baby's heads. This can be an indication of a thyroid or a bone formation problem, so Jaxon had to have five blood tests while in the hospital, as well as an ultrasound of his head. 

Today my mom and I took Jaxon in for his first pediatrician appointment. Two days prior, my husband had taken Jaxon in for some repeat blood work to see if his thyriod stimulating hormone levels had gone down, as they were high when they tested him at the hospital. I was really nervous because if he indeed had a thyroid issue, he would have to take medication daily for his entire life. 

When we got to the office, Dr. Tang told me in between patients that his thyroid levels were normal!!!!!!

The doctor weighed and measured Jaxon and he was up to 4757 grams and measured 21.25 inches long. His head circumfrence and weight was between the 85th-97th percentile and he was in the 85th percentile for height. The doctor said that babies normally gain between 25-35 grams a day, but Jaxon was gaining on average 44 grams a day! 

The doctor was really awesome and answered all the questions that I had. We go back after he gets his two month shots so that she can monitor the soft spots on his head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment