Pink and Green Elephants

My photo
British Columbia, Canada
I'm starting this blog so I can record the amazing, exciting, and nerve-racking journey through pregnancy to parenthood

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Third Midwife Appointment!

Feb/19/2013

16 weeks, 4 days

Today I had my third appointment with the midwife and fortunately, my husband was able to come as well! 

Today at my appointment, the midwife took my blood pressure and listened to my heart and lungs. Everything checked out great! Also, she weighed me and measured my uterus. Turns out that I have not gained a single pound so far and the top of my uterus is now in line with my bellybutton! It really is amazing how much the baby has grown in one month! 

I also got to hear the heartbeat, which has slowed down to 150 BPM. The midwife told me that the reason the heartbeat is so fast is because initially, the baby only has a sympathetic nervous system (which is the one in charge of the fight or flight response which makes your heart beat fast), but as the baby grows the heartbeat slows down as the parasympathetic nervous system kicks in! 

I have decided on which hospital I am going to deliver in. Although there is a hospital like 5 minutes for my house, I have decided to go to one that is about a 30 minute or more (depending on traffic) drive away. My reasoning is that I am guaranteed a private room and each room is equipped with a bath tub, which is really important to me as laboring in water can relieve a lot of pressure and pain. Also, I was told that I do not have to have an IV and that I can labor in any position I want and I can deliver standing up, on the bed, squatting, on the toilet ect ect. I was told that unless I have an epidural, I can also eat and drink until I get into very active labor and by then I'm sure the last thing I would want to do is eat! 

Because I really do not want an epidural, I was told that I have a few other options for pain relief! I have access to laughing gas, Phentanol, and another med that can be put into an IV. 

I discussed the fact that I really do not want an epidural and my midwife told me that my best chances are to be prepared (by taking pre-natal classes) and to have a doula. Thankfully, I was already planning on taking classes and I already have a doula booked! 

The next step is to go to the hospital for a consult with an anaesthesiologist, who will check my spine and determine if I would be a good candidate for an epidural, should I want one. Also, they will check my heart and lungs as well, as they want to rule out any potential problems should I require any general anaesthesia. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and do a tour of their labor and delivery wing.

Overall, after this appointment this pregnancy seems a bit more real...

No comments:

Post a Comment